Richmond, (BC) – Catalyst Paper today announced that it has been named for the 11th consecutive year as one of the Best 50 Corporate Citizens in Canada by Corporate Knights Magazine, which reports on corporate sustainability and transparency.
“We are proud to be acknowledged for the 11th consecutive year as one of Canada’s Best Corporate Citizens,” said Graham Kissack, Vice President, Corporate Social Responsibility. “Our leading sustainability performance and transparent disclosure means we provide leading brands with confidence in Catalyst’s growing line of paper and packaging products.”
The Best 50 Corporate Citizens in Canada are selected by Corporate Knights Magazine on the basis of their performance against 14 key sustainability indicators, including greenhouse gas productivity, percentage of taxes paid, health and safety performance, pension fund, supply chain and clean air productivity.
The award recognizes Catalyst’s ongoing focus on strengthening its leadership role in sustainable business practices and its commitment to building respectful and constructive relationships with stakeholders.
As highlighted in our newly-published 2016 Corporate Social Responsibility Report, which is now available on our website, Catalyst demonstrated this commitment by:
- Shutting-down a steam-generating boiler at its Biron mill, eliminating the use of high-sulphur coal, and significantly reducing mill and corporate-wide greenhouse gas emissions
- Implementing a new turbine that provided additional green energy generation from previously unharnessed low-pressure steam
- Developing and commercializing new products, including paper for specialty applications like label and liner, and food services
- Maintaining ongoing partnerships with 12 environmental organizations and groups
- Improving safety performance through the reduction of Lost-Time Incident and Severity rates
- Continuing to contribute to the economic health and prosperity of the communities where we operate; in 2016, Catalyst operations made a $3.7 billion economic impact, and generated 12,600 direct and indirect jobs
Catalyst’s Corporate Social Responsibility Report is presented according to the Global Reporting Index and provides a transparent record of Catalyst’s performance across multiple dimensions, including environmental results, as well as the social and economic contribution of its operations in the communities where the company’s employees live and work.
About Catalyst Paper
Catalyst Paper manufactures diverse papers such as coated freesheet, coated one side (C1S), flexible and industrial packaging, food service, coated and uncoated groundwood, newsprint, directory, as well as market pulp. Customers include retailers, publishers and commercial printers in North America, Latin America, the Pacific Rim and Europe. With five mills across North America, Catalyst has annual production capacity of 2.3 million tonnes. Catalyst is headquartered in Richmond, British Columbia, Canada, and has been ranked by Corporate Knights magazine for the 10th consecutive year as one of the 50 Best Corporate Citizens in Canada.
For more information contact:
Vice President, Corporate Social Responsibility